Monday, March 8, 2010

Cacophony

Yes, it's been a few weeks.

There are no real excuses here, but I did have some issues that needed to get cleared up with my new teaching job, and then I began prepping, which of course filled me with anxiety until I was actually IN the classroom. High school students are kind of terrifying. Luckily I have a fairly good poker face (I practiced that face on friday night while playing actual poker) and I don't think they noticed how nervous I really was.

This weekend I went to an incredible art show at the CNE. My cousin was working there and got me a complimentary ticket (Thanks H!). Of course, when she said art show, I was picturing it in Saskatoon terms. A nice sized gallery with maybe a dozen artists. I suggested I would come towards the end of her shift and we could walk around for an hour and then go get some sushi. I got to the Queen Elizabeth building at the CNE and just about fainted. HUNDREDS OF ARTISTS were showing their work at this show, displaying practically every possibly medium. There was installation, photography, painting, drawing, sculpture, blown glass, mixed media, digital art, etc etc. It was fucking amazing.

I pretty much had a panic attack as soon as I walked in. And, as if I couldn't have been more overwhelmed, the first artist's work I walked up to look at was none other than the fabulously talented Beverly Hawksley....Hawksley Workman's own mother. For those of you who read this blog who know me well, you know what this would've done for my existence. I was completely star struck. I introduced myself and we chatted for a few minutes. She's a very kind and down to earth person and while I babbled on about how much I worship her son (possibly mentioning at some point that I plan on having his babies....), she said sweetly, 'that's so good to hear, I will pass that message on to him'. Of course her work is stunning. Some of it is printed in Hawksley Workman's book, Hawksley Burns for Isadora.

Anyway, it was basically amazing for me. Here are some Hawksley Workman videos for your viewing pleasure:








And here is my all time favourite HW song:



Cacophony: best word ever.

How does all of this come back to 6FU? One might think it doesn't, but it does. Seriously, how could it not? 6FU has some fabulous songs written and recorded by some fabulous bands/musicians throughout the series, including but not limited to: Arcade Fire, PJ Harvey, Cold Play, Nina Simone, Jem, Sia, Radiohead, Interpol, Death Cab For Cutie, Lamb, and Zero 7. And let's not forget about the great Thomas Newman. There is also a rather large artistic theme running through the series. We have Billy (played by Jeremy Sisto), Brenda's scitzophrentic brother, a photographer and a loose cannon when off his meds. And, of course, Claire, who's artwork and artistic desire (as well as her desire to seek a place among the misfits of her world) features prominately in her story arc on the show, and includes friends and lovers who attend art school with her. Then we have Olivier Castro-Staal, Claire's indignant and self-absorbed art teacher who deflowers her boyfriend Russel's (Ben Foster) gay virginity and then looks Claire in the face and says, 'what a baby...just because I fucked your boyfriend. Real pain is what you need."

But it's not just the characters and their lives. The show itself is a work of art. The shots, the lighting, the sets. Even HBO itself shows its commitment to its artistic vision by these innovative promos they did for each 6FU season:


Season 2 Promo:


Season 3 Promo:


Season 4 Promo:


Season 5 Promo:


Stunning, right? Each one gives teeny tiny hints to what will be coming up in the next season. What a way to advertise for a show. Soon, I'll be looking in more detail at Claire's artwork throughout the show, possibly posting some of my own humble photographs.

I think it's rare to find a show that is well written, incredibly well acted and visually stunning. Perhaps that's why I feel so fulfilled while watching 6FU. All of my senses are completely satisfied. Well, except perhaps touch and taste. But I'm usually eating tasty food while I watch the show. And I'm likely holding the hand of a dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment