Thursday, January 14, 2010

Part 1: Everything.

A couple of nights ago I watched the last episode of 6FU. Though that was likely the 7th or 8th time I'd seen this hour and twenty minutes of brilliance, it's probably been at least a year since I watched that particular episode and I watched it with friends who were seeing the episode for the first time. It was awesome. We all cried. All I want to do now is talk about the last episode, though this seems like such a monstrous task. So I've decided to divide this into a four part post.

Today is Part 1 of Everything. Everyone. Everywhere. Ends.

I'm compelled to do this justice. I'm unemployed. I'm looking for work, job hunting, job begging, whatever you might call it. I'm struggling. It's January.

January is a shit month.


Here are my thoughts on Everything.

I like everything. I'm pretty sure my friends and family have noticed. I mean, I hate most things too, but when it comes to art and literature and and theatre I tend to really really like everything. And I always end up feeling kind of foolish because I really should be more critical about the artistic experience and entertainment I'm exposing myself to.


A few days ago I saw a staged production of Part 1 of Angels in America. For those of you who haven't seen the HBO mini series, it is so so SO worth it. Go out and rent it. Actually, no. Go out and BUY it, because you'll need a few years to properly absorb this drama. By the time I made my way through the entire six hour series (with some good friends in Vancouver), I had already seen the Part 1 about four times over the course of three years. A friend of mine and I tried to watch the whole thing together, twice, and failed. The first time we needed time after Part 1 to process and breathe and engage in some form of dialogue about what we were watching (which basically meant crying into our chip bowls and talking about how fucked up the world is). We needed a lot of time. So much time, in fact, that we didn't start watching again until a year later. Then of course we had to watch Part 1 OVER again because we had forgotten a lot of what happened. And again, the same conundrum. I tried to watch it alone, and failed. I tried to watch it with other friends and failed.

Finally I saw the whole thing this past May.

Maybe, it's just that I like absolutely Everything. that HBO has done (that I've seen). Is that wrong?

For the record, Al Pacino wins hands down for awesomeness playing Roy Cohn (opposite James Cromwell who plays George Sibley in 6FU):



There's an actor with clout.

Here is a lovely wikipedia definition of the Theory of Everything:

The theory of everything (TOE) is a putative theory of theoretical physics that fully explains and links together all known physical phenomena, and, ideally, has predictive power for the outcome of any experiment that could be carried out in principle.

I don't REALLY know what any of this means, but I like how it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment