Friday, January 8, 2010

People Who Died

I started watching 6FU by myself. A close friend of mine had been urging me to start watching it and I found myself at Blockbuster one evening on a search for the perfect movie. I don't remember the movie I rented, but in addition I ended up grabbing disk four of season one cause it was the only one left on the shelf. So the first episode I actually watched (called 'The New Person') was the one where, in the first scene, the woman kills her husband by bashing him over the head with a cast iron frying pan:



This is the first glimpse I had into the show. I love how she eats the guy's breakfast after.

I'm clearly into this. But then, I see the next scene with Nate and David where they discuss why this woman decided to kill her husband:

David: ...so now the wife's in jail, according to the cousin who arranged the funeral.

Nate: Yeah, I bet he was abusing her or maybe he had some sick sexual thing he made her do.

David: Please, stop. And you're wrong. All she told the police was that he was boring.

Nate: That's it? That's all she said? (DAVID nods) The sick part is I understand it.

David: I do too.

Nate: Sometimes I'm boring.

David: I am too..


Amazing, right? I thought so too. I finish the episode. I'm obsessed. I go right back out to a different video store and rent the rest of season one. Then I watch the pilot, which is going to be a whole other post (lots to cover about the pilot). Then one of my roommates comes home and I convinced her to watch the pilot with me. Then our other roommate comes home and the three of us watch the pilot together.

Basically I watched the first episode three times that first night (or at least this is how I remember it) and then finished that first season in five days.

So as you all know (and if you don't know, you probably want to watch the show before I start spoiling things for you), the start of each 6FU episode begins with someone dying. I've chosen some of my favourites for your viewing pleasure:









I've been having a lot of really nasty nightmares lately, all of them completely vivid and almost more real than life itself. Many of them have been dreams in which close friends die somehow and I wake up with that crying clenched-fist-around-my-lungs feeling. It takes all day to shake it off. I think about what I would do without that person in my world and it's inconceivable. The worst is when they have children. I also dream about old relationships coming back to haunt me in some form or another, a completely different kind of death. Boyfriends or girlfriends popping up in various parts of my daily grind, showing up to tell me something, give me something, or take something away. A reconciliation that I never thought would happen might take place in a dream. I might wake up so light and happy, only to realize that person is still walking around possibly hating me, secretly hurt by me. Or I am still hurt by them. Or whatever. We sort of mutually hate/love each other. I always dream about people in my life, about things that could easily happen to them. I dream about myself placed in situations I wish I could act out in my life. I dream about resolution.

Last night I dreamt I had a beard. Oddly enough, this hasn't been the first beard dream I've ever had. In the first one, I was looking in the mirror totally admiring my awesome, amazing beard. Like, it was surprisingly hot. In this one, I couldn't figure out why it had suddenly developed and why now? My partner was all diplomatic about it and was like, 'you know it's up to you what you do with it, I don't mind' and I was kind of like, really? You're seriously okay with me having a beard? Then he was like, 'well, if it makes you uncomfortable, you can shave it off, but do it for yourself, not for me (a nice Bridget Jones I-like-you-just-as-you-are moment)'. But I didn't want to do that because my face would be all stubbly. It was a really unsettling dream and I basically had to cup my chin when I woke up to make sure I hadn't suddenly sprouted all this facial hair.

My point? Well, maybe it's just that dreams are kind of like dying for a night, in the sense that we go off into crazy worlds that are so similar to reality that we think they must be, but actually they're a whole different existence. Death might be one long dream with beards and fairies and talking steaks. I have no problem with that.

Here's a special song that touched my heart so obviously it will touch yours too:

No comments:

Post a Comment